County and State Services

Listed below are some of the services we can assist Veterans with at the local and state level.

Veteran Drivers License

If you are an honorably discharged Veteran, getting a Veteran designation on your Iowa driving license is a simple process. Please bring your current driver's license and your member 4 DD214 to our office. We will complete Iowa DOT form 432035 and verify your DD214 information makes you eligible. You will then need to take the form to the Courthouse and go to where you would usually pick up your driver's license and they will take it from there.  

Example of an Iowa drivers license with Veteran designation.





Veteran License Plates

If you are an Honorably discharged or retired Veteran you are eligible to have special license plates for your vehicle. This is also available to National Guard members if they meet certain requirements of federal service. There are several different options depending on medal earned for discharged veterans and branch of service for retired veterans. If you are interested, please come to our office with your member 4 DD214 and your current Iowa license plate number and we can take care of the paperwork. There is no fee for your first plate (unless you personalize it) and the plate will be sent to the Courthouse for pick up once it has been made.

Example of an Iowa Veteran License Plate.




Veteran Hunting and Fishing License

If you are a service-connected Iowa based veteran you can get a lifetime Hunting and fishing license for $7. You must have your member 4 DD214 showing honorable service and will need a recent benefits summary letter from the federal VA showing that you have a service-connected disability. 

Property Tax Exemption

Are you a veteran that has a property under your name and are currently living in the home? Please call our office to set up an appointment. At this appointment we will need a good copy of your DD214 and together we can fill out the Tax exemption form. Once we complete those, we can send both over to the accessors office to be approved. Applications must be completed and sent in by June 30th. 

100% Permanent and total disability tax exemption 

If you are a veteran that has a 100% permanent and total rating for compensation. Please call our office and we can explain the steps to obtain your Benefit Summary Letter and schedule an appointment to complete the application. Once the application is completed it will be sent to the assessor's office

Finding a Veteran's Records

If a Veteran or loved one cannot find your discharge papers or military records, please come to us for assistance. We will need as much information as possible to be able to find the records so please make sure you have the following information: 

  • The Veterans name, DoB and SSN 
  • The Veterans branch of service and (approximate) dates of service.  

If you are acting on behalf of a veteran, or if the veteran has passed, we will need to see proof confirming this before any information or documents can be handed over. 

Adding Dependants/Change in Circumstances

If you are a Veteran receiving a monthly check from the Federal VA, then you need to ensure that you update your records so you are getting the right amount each month. To add a dependent, complete a VA 21-686c at the Cerro Gordo County Veteran Affairs Office, or submit the form using EBenefits online. 

County Courthouse

220 N. Washington Ave.
Mason City, IA 50401
Contact · Report a Concern

Courthouse Hours

M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed Holidays
Department Hours May Vary