Board of Review

Learn what to do if you disagree with your assessed property value.

Appeal Information

If you disagree with the assessed value of your property, please consider these questions before proceeding:

  • What is the actual market value of my property? (How much would it sell for)
  • How does this value compare to similar properties in the neighborhood? 

If you still feel the value is incorrect, you have several options:

Request an Informal Review with the Assessor

Between April 2nd and April 25th, you may file an Informal Assessment Review Application for the Assessor to review additional information about your property. If you and the Assessor come to an agreement on an adjusted value, then both parties must sign an informal review agreement, and the value will be changed. If a signed written agreement is not on file by the end of business day on April 25th, you may choose to appeal to the Cerro Gordo County Board of Review up through April 30th.  Please keep this in mind when filing an Informal Assessment Review Application.  Appeals filed will be reviewed and acted on in the order they are received by the Assessor.  If the application is not received until the last week of the filing period, the Assessor may not have time to review and act on the application and the application may be denied just due to timeliness and other appeals awaiting review ahead of yours.  You may still file an appeal with the Board of Review.

Informal Assessment Review Application

File a protest with the Cerro Gordo County Board of Review

The Board of Review operates independently from the Assessor’s office, and has the power to either confirm an assessment or make an adjustment (either upward or downward). Protests must be filed between April 2nd and April 30th to be considered. Protests must be in writing and signed by either the person protesting or a duly authorized agent. The protester may request an oral hearing with the Board if a request is made in writing at the time of filing.  Please note, the petition form is a legal document. Our office is happy to answer any questions you have, however we are unable to offer legal advice with regard to your protest. If you are unsure how to fill out the form, we strongly suggest you contact an attorney. 

County Courthouse

220 N. Washington Ave.
Mason City, IA 50401
Contact · Report a Concern

Courthouse Hours

M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed Holidays
Department Hours May Vary