Frequently Asked Questions

Motor Vehicles

Does the Treasurer process Driver's Licenses?
Can I renew someone else's vehicle registration?
Can I store my vehicle if I won't be driving it for a period of time?
How can I get a handicap parking permit or plates with no charge?
I have lost the registration and/or sticker to put on my license plate. How much is a new one?
I have moved in from another state. What do I need to do in order to register and title my vehicle in Iowa?
I have sold my vehicle, where do I apply for the refund?
If my spouse passes away, do I have to remove their name from the certificate of title? What information do do I need to bring in to remove a deceased spouse/owner?
What forms do I need to transfer a title for a vehicle I bought from a dealer?
What forms do I need to transfer a title for a vehicle I bought from a private individual?
When does a trailer have a title and when does it only have a registration?
Where do I get the required forms needed to complete a title transfer?


What is required to apply for a U.S. Passport?
What are my passport costs and payment options?
Where can I get a passport photo taken?
Do I need an appointment to apply for a passport?
Can I apply for my passport online?
How long is a passport valid?
Where can I get additional travel information?

Property Tax

When are property taxes due?
How can we pay taxes?
When do I receive my property tax billing/statement?
Where can I find my receipt number to pay taxes online?
Where do I find out what I paid for taxes last year?
Where do I file for homestead credit?
What is the penalty if property taxes are paid late?
What and when is a tax sale?

County Courthouse

220 N. Washington Ave.
Mason City, IA 50401
Contact · Report a Concern

Courthouse Hours

M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed Holidays
Department Hours May Vary